Epic Adventure Starts Here

Entry and Exit with Mexican Residente Permanente Card

  • Entry and Exit with Mexican Residente Permanente Card

    Posted by SethW on February 9, 2024 at 8:16 am

    I am hoping to find documentation for the proper procedure to comply with the Instituto Nacional de Migracion as a Residente Permanente card holder.

    My most frequent mode of travel is commercial airline, often the immigration office at SJD airport is no longer open with the change in FMM rules on commercial flights. This leaves me unable to get an FMM when departing Mexico. Is this still required?

    Periodically I drive across the border, am I required to stop at INM both entering and exiting Mexico as a Residente Permanente? If so, what paperwork is required how do you get to the office in Mexicali? I was under the impression that you could skip INM on entry and exit as an approved Permanent Resident but I now fear I was mis-informed.

    Infrequently I fly with a friend in his little plane over the border. We land in San Felipe for customs and INM on entry to Mexico. Upon departure we leave from a non controlled air strip and fly to Calexico for US entry and US customs. How do I validate my paperwork on departure when there is no INM office?

    Any links to official documents would be appreciated, I have been unsuccessful in finding specific information at https://www.gob.mx/inm.

    Thanks for any feedback.

    SolSeeker replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • cabodream

    February 9, 2024 at 12:32 pm

    Hi Seth – like you, my wife and I are both RP card holders and sometimes drive down although mostly fly in anymore as the wear and tear of the long drive back and forth has taken a toll.

    There was a lot of confusion over this issue last year, especially right after Mexico started stamping the FMM in visitors passports at airports instead of issuing the paper one. FMMs at border crossings have continued as always.

    Some people were saying that INM officials insisted that PR holders still get an FMM but that has not been our experience. We flew out of Cabo right before Christmas and they stamped the exit in our passports but we were not required to turn in an FMM when they saw our RP cards. Returning last month we just got into the line for Mexican citizens and were waved through with just an entry stamp in our passports when we showed them our RP cards.

    We were told by INM that when we are going leave and enter by vehicle at one of the border crossings, just drive through and show them our RP cards if asked.

    Now here comes the tricky part.

    We were also told that if we plan to either fly out and drive back or drive out and fly back, that it was important that we get an exit entry stamp from INM at the border to keep the ratio of entry/exit stamps over time always equal to exactly one, as that was something that INM would look at from time to time at airports.

    Now if there is no INM office? That’s a tough one as we have only crossed the border at places with INM offices during their operating hours. If I were you, I would ask that question at an INM office.

    Hope that helps.

  • SolSeeker

    February 9, 2024 at 3:54 pm

    @SethW I think that Cabo has it right on this question. My facilitator told me to only worry about it when mixing trips out/in by car and plane. When flying they always stamp your passport and only get the stamp at the border if flying on the other half of the trip.

    I always cross at Mexicali West. Pretty simple to find and they are open 24 hours a day. Here are some good directions I found on Facebook:


Log in to reply.

New Report


Share to...